Breaking News
  • April 17 - Late start schedule
  • April 19 - Eid celebration dinner
  • April 22 - Mid-term report cards distributed
  • April 24 - Late start schedule

Kingsley Voice

Kingsley Voice

Toronto Comicon 2024- Artist Spotlight

This year’s Toronto Comicon took place March 15- 17, bringing together thousands of people to celebrate all things pop culture. Artists, celebrities, cosplayers and fans all gathered at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre over the weekend to connect with other creators and fans. This convention is a haven for artists to shine, especially in the Artist Alley, a hotspot at Comicon for creators to showcase their work. 

(ig: @kjscomics, @thisismyface)

When asked about their opinion on the significance of Comicon, there was a common response among the artists: community. 

Graphic designer and comic book creator Kyle J. Smith (ig: @kjscomics) says, “Not only does it give you a chance to network with your fans, but it gives creators a chance to meet and work with each other and in this industry, networking and the relationships you have go such a long way.” 

Textile artist Olivia Mae Sinclair (ig: @oliviamaesinclair) echoes this response. As a business instructor at OCAD University and Sheridan College, she always emphasizes to her students the importance of building connections at conventions like Comicon.

(ig: @oliviamaesinclair)

“Coming here either as a consumer or a vendor is so important. Networking and talking to people is how we build community, and even if it doesn’t go anywhere, just having that connection and feeling seen is valuable. My work is really personal and intimate so when people see it and react to it, it’s really gratifying for me as an artist and to know that I’m not alone.”

Many artists also emphasized the importance of standing out in a crowded marketplace. “When you come to these you have to be vocal, and find ways to stand out from everyone else, which is often the hard part,” notes Scott Wojcik, creator of the comic Cereal Box Time Machine (ig: @cbtmcomics).

He points out the challenge for many artists at big venues like Comicon and mentions how he often has more success in terms of sales at smaller venues where it’s less easy to get lost in the crowd. 

(ig: @cbtmcomics)

Joy Braga (ig: @jollibeanscrochet), a first-time artist vendor at Comicon says, “Mentally preparing for such a large event like this was important because it can be overwhelming. It’s absolutely worth coming to though, to make friends and meet other fellow nerds with similar interests.” Another artist adds, “Coming to conventions is a good opportunity for your art to be seen because algorithms can screw a lot of artists over that are doing really incredible work but are kind of just flown under the radar.”

Comicon is also a great opportunity for young people to not only have fun but gain inspiration from artists and creators. “You want to influence young kids who are gonna then come in and take over for yourself,”, Scott Wojcik adds, “You want to come to a point where you influence others to make their own creations, and I think that’s really important especially for young kids since there’s not a lot of avenues for that.”

Comicon offers great exposure for many artists, but it is more than just a convention. It’s a celebration of art and a chance for creators and pop culture fans to gather with their community and share their passions. Be sure to check out and support the artists mentioned above, as well as the other articles about Toronto Comicon 2024 on our website!