Breaking News

Kingsley Voice

Kingsley Voice

April 8th Eclipse: A rare solar event!

Canadian Space Agency

On Monday, April 8th, a solar eclipse will cross over North America as the Moon moves in between the Sun and Earth. This will block the face of the Sun and the sky will go dark. In the GTA, the eclipse will be near-total and span between 2:04 p.m. and 4:31 p.m., reaching its peak around 3:19 p.m. Total solar eclipses are very rare – the next one visible in Toronto will occur in 2144 – so this is a unique viewing opportunity. TDSB students will have a PA Day on April 8th to minimize travel and viewing risks.

Safe Viewing

It is necessary to take some safety precautions when viewing eclipses. To view the eclipse, it is important to use eye protection. Looking directly at the eclipse can permanently damage one’s retinas, resulting in vision loss or impairment. Retinas do not have pain sensors meaning it will not be obvious that one’s eyes are being damaged. The City of Toronto guidelines recommend only using eclipse viewers that meet international standard ISO 12312-2.

It is also important to take precautions when travelling due to the minimal light. Drivers and pedestrians may be distracted by the event so it is important to stay vigilant.

Totality & Location

Major cities in the path of totality for the 2024 eclipse.

With approximately 99% totality, Toronto is a great viewing area for this eclipse. However, many people are considering travelling to nearby cities and towns in the path of totality to get an even better view. Niagara Falls will experience over 3 minutes of eclipse totality, making it one of the best locations in Canada to view this rare solar event.

Wherever one chooses to enjoy the eclipse, it is sure to be a unique and awe-inducing experience!