Breaking News
  • May 8 - Mentor schedule
  • May 14 - Urban Noise (6 to 8 PM)
  • May 15 - Assembly schedule

Kingsley Voice

Kingsley Voice

Moana 2: everything you need to know

Looking back to old comfort movies brings a warm, and therapeutic sensation, but sequels to loved movies bring us back the emotional nostalgia from the past. Moana 2 is coming out in theatres on November 27th, 2024! This news was confirmed by the CEO of Walt Disney, Bob Iger and the voice actor of Moana, Auli’i Cravalho. The announcement and teaser dropped on February 7th and has people excited, but also some disappointed.

Many fans are not very ecstatic because they speculate that the movie will be a disaster. The new movie was already created as a tv series on Disney plus, but is now being put together as a movie at the last minute, according to Iger. Fans are skeptical as animations for the movie were originally made for a show. Both voice actors Dwayane Johnson and Auil’i Cravalho have only signed onto the project a day after the release date was announced. It seems that the movie will not have enough time and might end up disappointing millions of fans as its release date is less than a year away.

The rushed movie makes fans think of its cultural background. Moana is based off of Polynesian and Tongan culture. Fans think rushing such an important movie that represents culture with no research, will offend and anger many people.

Putting aside opinions from social media, this is what grade 10 students at R. H. King Academy have to say.

Rumaisa Hasan in grade 10 states, “I think it won’t be as good as I wish it would be. I don’t know much about filmmaking but I do know that it takes years to be able to make a great movie. Rushing through filmmaking, especially a movie that is so nostalgic is going to disappoint a lot of people and won’t be as big of a hit as the first movie.”

Yasmeen Rawdah in grade 10 states, “ I am excited for Moana 2 because the first Moana movie  was one of my favorites when it first came out, but I hope the sequel ends up at least decent even though it probably won’t be as good as the first one.”

Sarah Arief, in grade 10 says with a more enthusiastic approach,“ I love the first Moana movie, it’s so cute, I’m so excited for Moana 2 and will definitely watch it!”

The first Moana movie will always be comforting to many people, and even though some are excited and some are doubtful for the sequel, hopefully the new movie will be just as magical as the first one.