Breaking News

Kingsley Voice

Kingsley Voice

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: anticipation grows for Hunger Games prequel movie

In 2020, Suzanne Collins released her book “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes”, a prequel to her famous “Hunger Games” series. The book rose to #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list, winning praise from the press and dedicated Hunger Games fans. The long-awaited movie adaptation is to hit theaters on November 17th, 2023, generating excitement from both longtime fans and those new to the series. 

The original Hunger Games movie franchise reached astonishing global success, grossing over $2.96 billion worldwide. It is a staple of the YA Dystopian genre, resonating with teenagers and adults alike. It was known for its compelling romance, strong characters like “Katniss Everdeen” being a feminist symbol, and its memorable cast of Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth. 

The new movie has big expectations to meet, but many are optimistic about the movie’s success. The movie stars Tom Blyth and Rachel Zegler, two rising talents. Blyth’s first main role was in 2018, with the titular role of Scott in the coming-of-age movie “Scott and Sid”. Zegler made her debut in 2021 in Steven Spielberg’s adaption of “West Side Story” as “Maria”, earning a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress. 

The movie not only has a promising cast but also a fascinating storyline. It subverts expectations, with the protagonist being “Coriolanus Snow”, the original series’ villain. The movie delves into Snow’s villainous origin and shows a complex, introspective look into his character.

With the movie’s compelling cast and story, students at R.H. King look forward to the film’s release. Grade 10 student Slava, expresses her excitement by saying, “We’re excited to learn about Snow’s past.” Binisha, another Grade 10 student, adds, “We’re definitely going to watch it together when it comes out.”

The film’s trailers has already garnered 33 million views, reflecting its popularity worldwide. With its engaging storyline and well-thought-out casting, the movie is clear to be a wonderful choice to watch with friends on release!

View Comments (1)