Breaking News

Kingsley Voice

Kingsley Voice

Tamil Genocide Assembly 2024

On May 15, the Tamil Students Association (TSA) at R.H. King Academy hosted a schoolwide assembly from 9-11am, dedicated to commemorating the Tamil Genocide. This event not only marked a significant moment for the Tamil community within the school, but also highlighted the importance of remembrance and education in the broader context of human rights. 

The Province of Ontario’s legislation enacted Bill 104, which designates a seven-day period leading up to May 18 each year from 2021, to remember, educate and raise awareness on the topic. The assembly, organized in alignment with the Province of Ontario’s legislation establishing the Tamil Genocide Education Week, served as a platform for students and faculty to engage in meaningful reflection. Through presentations, testimonials and cultural arts performances, students were invited to deepen their understanding of the atrocities committed against the Tamil people during the civil war in Sri Lanka. 

The Tamil Students Association (TSA) very own dance team, the King Kuruvis had a heartwarming dance performance. 

TDSB Trustee, Neethan Shan, was invited to speak about his experience and thoughts on the Tamil Genocide. 

Through events like R.H. King’s Tamil Genocide Assembly, schools have the opportunity to play crucial role in shaping a more compassionate and informed society. By educating the next generation about the importance of human rights and social justice, we can work towards building a future where atrocities like the Tamil genocide are not only remembered but also prevented.