Breaking News
  • May 20 - Victoria Day (no school)
  • May 22 - Grad breakfast (9 am)
  • May 23 - King's Got Talent (3:30 pm)
  • May 23 - King's lip dub (clinic)

Kingsley Voice

Kingsley Voice

A recap of King Equity Council’s small business sale!

Did you know that at R.H. King Academy, multiple students are turning their passions into profits? This was on full display at King Equity Council’s small business sale. On May 3rd, multiple King students received an opportunity to show their support to King small businesses.

Four small businesses participated in this sale: Caked By Riya, Ekram Earrings, Sunset Bracelets and Kunafas. Caked By Riya (@cakedbyriya) sold cupcakes with distinctive flavours: Chocoholic, Berries & Cream, Oreo, Red Velvet and Vanilla Chai. Ekram Earrings (@ekramearrings) sold a range of handmade jewellery: earrings, bracelets and keychains. Sunset Bracelets (@sunsetbracelets) sold handmade string bracelets in a variety of colours. Finally, Kunafas (@kunafas) sold a sweet, buttery Palestinian delicacy called “Kunafa”. 

Through this business sale, students were able to create a stronger sense of community and reinforced King’s school spirit! This event was a great way for these students to promote their businesses, teaching them the power of networking. These entrepreneurs gained an extremely valuable experiential learning opportunity. Riya Mahendrarajah, the owner of Caked By Riya, states 

This was a wonderful opportunity and I’m so grateful to have been a part of it. I ended up selling out as well so that was awesome. My favourite part was seeing everyone’s faces light up when they saw the cupcakes and the confusion they had when they didn’t know which flavour to choose. A benefit of this showcase was exposure to a large population of King students and I’m hoping that my business will flourish after this!”  

Not only that, this sale helped boost the self-confidence of these business owners. The businesses made multiple sales thanks to other King students/teachers, validating the hard work each person put into the final product.  This event was extremely memorable, highlighting the creativity and innovation these young entrepreneurs have. Showcasing these small businesses was the perfect way to end King Equity Council’s Spirit Week! 

Caked by Riya sold all of their delicious cupcakes.

Sunset Bracelets sold a variety of beautiful bracelets.

Ekram Earrings displayed many gorgeous earrings and gave away free stickers to customers!

All photos taken by Nicole Zach