Breaking News
  • April 17 - Late start schedule
  • April 19 - Eid celebration dinner
  • April 22 - Mid-term report cards distributed
  • April 24 - Late start schedule

Kingsley Voice

Kingsley Voice

King United Activism is back as King Social Awareness Club!

KSAC’s latest initiative is a collaboration with KWEC (King Women Empowerment Council), designing buttons to promote International Women’s Day

With meetings held every other Thursday in A32, the King Social Awareness Club (also known as KSAC) is a group of individuals dedicated to addressing current social issues. The club has found great success in their efforts, even talking to a Canadian Senator in previous years.

KSAC is a very decorated club with many accomplishments to its name. In 2019, the club led several walkouts against climate change and education laws. In December of 2022, KSAC organized a clothing drive with the intent of providing essential clothing items for the wintertime for families in need. The club met much success and collected countless bags of jackets, boots, socks and more from King students! What’s more, members also organized and raised funds for OSAP, a program that aids Ontario students with their post-secondary tuition.

The club led a walkout against education laws in 2019
KSAC’s Clothing Drive turned out to be an extremely successful initiative

The club has also made a consistent effort to raise awareness for ongoing problems in the Scarborough community and the world. With detailed posts on Instagram, KSAC educates students on various topics and current events. Events such as the CUPE Strike and the earthquakes in Syria and Turkey have all been touched on by the club.

Members of the club were even able to communicate with Senator Stan Kutcher. Senator Kutcher presented Bill S-251. This pushed to remove section 43 of the Criminal Code which stated that parents and teachers were permitted to use force against children under their care. KSAC members, supporting his actions taken towards removing section 43, were able to participate in a workshop led by him. This rare opportunity allowed students to learn more about the senator and ask him various questions.

KSAC’s most recent efforts include designing and creating buttons; members were prompted to create designs promoting International Women’s Day as a collaborative effort with KWEC. Here is a peek at the creative designs:

Buttons will be handed out on March 8th in front of the library for free!

Co-presidents Ayushi Anuprova and Naveena Gnanachandran have many other ideas for KSAC that they hope to bring to life this semester and in the following year. In the near future, members may be able to look forward to having a pen pal! “After handing out our buttons, we hope to start up a pen pal initiative between students and a local senior-care home. That’s the goal,” shares Anuprova.

“The best part about KSAC is meeting cool new people every time we get together. Everyone’s welcome, whether you’re officially in the club or not.” Gnanachandran especially values connection within academic spaces and tries to cultivate a friendly environment in her own club.  “Each person brings a fresh perspective, making every meeting a fun learning experience about the world we live in.”

Anyone interested can check out KSAC’s Instagram and join their Google Classroom for more information on meetings.

Instagram: @rhk_ksac

Google Classroom Link: 6to5bcp