Breaking News
  • April 17 - Late start schedule
  • April 19 - Eid celebration dinner
  • April 22 - Mid-term report cards distributed
  • April 24 - Late start schedule

Kingsley Voice

Kingsley Voice

Indigenous English mandate across the TDSB

Recently, English classes have been seeing some change. It is experiencing the slow fade of literary classics, in an attempt to dispel Eurocentric concepts and media. It has also been seeing an increase in Indigenous texts and content. 

While selecting courses this past month, many students have noticed a change: Grade 11 English is no longer offered. In February of 2023, many Ontario school boards mandated a new Grade 11 English course. The course, titled NBE3U1: First Nations, Metis and Inuit Voices aims to provide students with a better understanding of Indigenous cultures and history. Essentially, students will be able to hone the same skills they would have in a normal English class while studying Indigenous texts. This will equip students with knowledge regarding the past and present of Indigenous peoples. It is also an opportunity to amplify Indigenous voices and to learn about unique perspectives. Maggie Donnelly, a grade 12 King student who opted to take the course last year, shared, “I enjoyed the Indigenous English course. It showed me a new way to think about literature, and how it connects with current social issues.” Many also may feel that these texts are more current and relevant, as opposed to Shakespeare or Dickens. 

Speaking of Shakespeare, where is he? Over the past couple of years, classical literature has been seeing a fall in popularity in English classrooms. Grade 11 English, which once was focused on literary classics, has now eliminated that option completely. There are arguments that there is a lot to learn from these time-honoured pieces. In an article uploaded to the National Post, a TDSB student trustee expressed the value that the lessons of classical literature hold today. These same concepts of love, poverty, or family that were written centuries ago, will continue to be relevant for the foreseeable future. The student also questions whether the change is simply “politically expedient”, rather than in the best interest of TDSB students.

There are also several students at King that feel less excited about this newly mandatory course. According to Grade 10 Student A, students are experiencing a lot of uneasiness going into the course and feel like she doesn’t know what to expect. “It’s good that we’re learning about [Indigenous people’s] history, but the students don’t know enough about what the course is about or why we’re doing it, which makes them less enthusiastic about it.” 

Although those taking the course may have conflicting opinions going into it, it seems this is partially due to the lack of communication surrounding the course. After completing the class, students may have a different assessment of the course, for the better or the worse.