Breaking News

Kingsley Voice

Kingsley Voice

Polls

How do you feel about our headlines?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Sports @ King: girls ultimate frisbee ’23

Sports @ King: girls ultimate frisbee 23

R.H. King Academy previously has only had a Co-ed Ultimate Frisbee team, which ran every spring. The team last year had a great season but did not make it to the semi finals.  However, this year was the first time R.H. King had a Girls Varsity Ultimate Frisbee team. Tryouts were held and there was a lot of turnout. There were girls who were new to the sport and girls who played before, who have come back for another go at it. 

The girl’s first game of the season was against SATEC @ W.A Porter C.I. Sadly, the team endured a loss of 10-3. After this loss, the girls attended multiple practices to improve on their techniques and strategies in the game. 

Their next game against Woburn C.I. went great! Winning 12-6, the girls felt much better about their game and saw many improvements. 

Next, they played in an all day tournament hosted at Bethune. The day was good, the weather being not too chilly or sunny. The girls played from 9am till 4pm. It was a long day and took a lot of hard work. They competed against about 6 teams in the east region, winning half of them. This day really helped the girls reflect on their skills, get a hold on what Ultimate is really about and witness how the other teams in the east regions play.  Mahisa Vijayan and Aniyah Morgan absolutely killed it, earning MVP status, given by the other teams, for multiple games. 

Their next game of the season was against Agincourt (Team B) was a close tie but King pulled through and won the game, 8-7. It was a hard opponent team which made the girls feel very proud and hopeful for the upcoming games. 

The girls’ game against Bethune (Team A) was nerve wracking for King since they know how well they play by witnessing and playing against them at the tournament. The weather was cold, the game was hectic as many sports injuries occurred. They put in their all but sadly, lost. The final score of this game was 15-6.  Their game against Bethune (Team B) was a close one, but they lost in the last minute by 7-6. 

The girls were hopeful that they could qualify for the semi finals. They knew they just had to win one game. 

Finally, the last game of their season was against Agincourt (Team A). They knew this team was very good at what they do. However, without losing hope, the girls gave it their all and really tried to win their last game to get to the semi finals. Their season came to an end when Agincourt A won the game enduring a loss for King by 12-4. 

While it was a disappointing loss, the girls had fought an undeniably hard season. Reflecting on this, Mahisa Vijayan says, “Through the pouring rain, windy weather, and geese poop that all these girls have faced and overcome, this season was challenging, but we all did our best and made it through!”

Ms. Takahashi, their coach, found the girls an amazing opportunity to play at an all day tournament at Danforth Collegiate & Technical Institute . The game was in a different style of ultimate, compared to the one they have been playing. The tournament was in a speed point style. The game still consists of six players, but this time, if a point was scored, the other team picks up the disk and starts where it last landed. Also, players are able to sub off whenever they want, and all they have to do is high five another player from the team. It was recommended that it’s best to sub off when your team has the desk. Since speed point is really fast there is no half time, the games are usually 20-25 mins. The girls had a lot of fun playing in this style and enjoyed the day, away from the competitive nature of games during the season. 

By the end of the season, all of the players old and new felt much more comfortable with the sport and loved most aspects of the game. The team could not have done it without Ms.Takahashi! She spent mornings and evenings hosting practices for the team. Owen, the manager of the team gave amazing tips and supported the girls through practices and games. Overall, it was still a great season for the Lions and the team chants will never be forgotten! Finally, for the girls at King who did not join the Ultimate team this year but want to be a part of something so great, make sure to join the team next year. 

View Comments (1)