Tanisha Kumar

November wellness break: King’s thoughts

November 4, 2022

November is here and every R.H. King student knows what that means: November Wellness Week! Unlike most other schools, R.H. King Academy has some very unique features such as a clinic period, mentor period, leadership programs, and even an earlier school year start.  Classes for students at King start a week earlier than other schools, and as a result of this, R.H. King students receive an extra week off in November. This year from November 7th to the 11th. 

Within R.H. King, opinions are divided on the November break. Some students prefer having this week off over an extra week of summer because it provides a break to de-stress and if necessary, catch up on schoolwork. On the other hand, some students prefer an extra week of summer due to the nice weather compared to the cold in November. They may not able to spend as much time with friends outside of R.H. King since other schools do not have November Break. 

¨I would definitely have a November break because I know I am not the only one who’s already feeling the stress of school! With the first term ending and mid term grades coming out, I have to be constantly studying and trying to keep up with my classes since everything is moving so fast. This allows me to catch up with my school work and lets me finally rest.¨ says Ayushi Anuprova, a Grade 10 student at King.

Having the break now as opposed to elongating our summer is totally better. It is more appreciated and will provide its main benefit, to be a wellness week

— Sahara Meighlal-Sarwan

Sahara Meighlal-Sarwan, another Grade 10 student agrees. ¨Having the break now as opposed to elongating our summer is totally better. It is more appreciated and will provide its main benefit, to be a wellness week,” she says.

In contrast, Riya Mahendrarajah, a Grade 10 student at King says that she prefers extending the summer break by a week rather than having November Break. ¨I believe that the extra week in the summer is better than having a November break because it gives me extra time to have fun in the weather that’s a privilege to have in Canada. There is so much to do in the summer compared to November when it’s cold and foggy,” she says.

The bottom line is that both of these opinions are important in making changes within King. Whether it be the November break, early starts or mentor, King students will always have opinions.