Meet the council responsible for everyone’s morning snacks

November 28, 2022

R.H. King Academy’s Food and Nutrition Council (KNFC) is best known for preparing and giving out food for King students. The council is currently run by students, Braveena Amalan, Connor Irving, Keye Sun, Sarah Jeffries, and Rania Sarawar. The teachers supervising this council are Ms.Humes and Ms.Ilisan. The KNFC performs myriad different functions for the student body; though, something they are most known for is the food handouts. The handouts consist of all sorts of snacks like muffins, cheese strings, yogurt tubes, and fruits in the mornings all week long. On Wednesdays, they serve a hot breakfast which consists of bagels toasted with cream cheese or butter, or French toast.

KNFC never fails to represent celebrations, special holidays, and cultural months. On their Instagram (@kingfoodcouncil), they post fun facts and recipe ideas related to events happening at the time. For example: during Hindu Heritage Month, KNFC posted recipes on how to make traditional sweets like Pedha and Laddu for King students to follow; during Pride Month, they posted chefs who are LGBTQIA+ to recognize the great achievements of chefs in that community; and in May, they handed out ice cream sandwiches to celebrate Eid.

The KNFC also helps out with school events like the Backyard Food Festival, where they help hand out pizza and juice boxes for the school. The KNFC also sheds light on more serious and important social topics like eating disorders and the Black Lives Matter movement through their Instagram posts.

For any students interested in joining KNFC, applications for next year will open up sometime toward the end of this school year. Students should make sure they will be able to spend their time doing council activities if one hopes to join the council as, council responsibilities include: meetings that happen weekly on Tuesdays at lunch, lasting about 15-30 minutes; occasionally coming to school early in the morning to help hand out snacks; and any other responsibilities that arise, such as the KNFC spirit week that starts on November 28th.

For further information about this council and updates on upcoming events, check out their Instagram, @kingfoodcouncil.